02 June 2009

Left Leg Training Time Part 2

In a previous post, I mentioned that I got a Ogura twinplate from ST. Got the car back today and here's the review.

Wrapped myself into the Recaro, fired up the ignition.. The exhaust growl filled the cabin as the PowerFC commands the engine to rev up to 2000 rpm during the cold start.

Concurrently, there was a 'zing' sound that lasted about 1-2 seconds, signature of the Ogura twinplate.

The ball of my left leg touch the clutch pedal with trepidation. Is the pedal effort going to be so heavy that I will have to undergo strength training with sumo squats and calve lifts?

SURPRISE! I was driving my dad's stock Lancer during the last couple of days and the Ogura requires at max 15% more strength to depress compared to the Mitsubishi's.

I jabbed the clutch a few more times for good effect. Another Ogura signature - a high pitched grinding sound resonates throughout the cabin from the drivetrain. Some drivers called this the 'ice cream van' sound effect.

I wind down the window, depress the clutch again. Yep, I sound like a ice cream van, albeit one with 374 bhp.

I don't really mind the sound (call me masochistic) and I can see how NVH-conscious drivers will find the noise intolerable. BUT these type of people don't drive sports cars with twinplate clutches, do they?

I put the S15 in reverse, built up a bit of revs and release the clutch slowly... Halfway through, the clutch engage fully and rather shockingly. Un-used to this dichotomous behaviour, I did stall a few times embarassingly at traffic times.

Not a big problem, its just a matter of getting used to matching the revs and releasing the clutch. Another friend who used this clutch warned ominously that I will grow to hate upslopes...

Then the fun part begins once I moved off. Downshifts and upshifts are so much easier due to the smooth engagement of the Ogura and the light pedal effort makes me feel like I am just driving a stock car. Sporty driving with a daily driver level of effort. I like!

Like:
+ Rated up to 550ps which is more than I will ever need
+ Light pedal effort comparable to a stock econobox
+ Once moving, shifts engaged cleanly with no drivetrain judder

Dislike
- On or off engagement means traffic light and upslope starts takes a fair bit to get used to
- Grinding noises during ignition start or depressing of clutch
- Pricey S$2k++ brand new (but you do get what you paid for)

No comments:

Post a Comment